William "Max" Maxwell Lucas
- B.S. Architectural Engineering - KU 1957
- M.S. Architectural Engineering - KU 1962
- PhD Architectural Engineering - Oklahoma State University 1971
- Dean of the KU School of Architecture and Urban Design
- Elected to CEAE Academy in 2022
Dr. Lucas was instrumental in launching the school into the digital age through his advocacy of computer-aided design. His establishment of study abroad programs in the school led to the current tremendous global reach which sets KU’s program above many others.
He began his academic career at KU in 1962 as an assistant professor of architecture, and he became full professor in 1971. He worked as an assistant to Chancellor Archie Dykes from 1974 to 1976, and he became the first director of KU’s Facilities and Planning Department from 1976 to 1978. He served as the dean of the School of Architecture and Urban Design from 1981 to 1994.