Field Station at Nelson Environmental Study Area (NESA)
The University of Kansas Field Station Nelson Environmental Study Area (NESA) is located within the larger University of Kansas Field Station & Ecological Reserves (KSR), which totals more than 3,000 acres of habitats, experimental tracts, and support facilities. The University of Kansas Field Station has served a prominent role in ecological, environmental, and toxicological research for more than half a century.
NESA is devoted to experimental ecological studies, including the Kansas Aquatic Mesocosm Program, which includes more than 100 experimental ponds and aquatic enclosures, as well as Frank B. Cross Reservoir, a protected watershed. As the headquarters for the larger ecological reserves, NESA also houses a year-round caretaker residence, a meteorological station, an Aquatic Laboratory, the KSR Headquarters, overnight cabins, a well-equipped shop, maintenance and storage buildings, vehicles, and heavy equipment. The original headquarter building was constructed in 1994 with the aid of an NSF grant. In the last five years, another NSF grant has allowed for expansion of the headquarters, with a 2700 sq. ft. addition, including the 1700 sq. ft. Armitage Education Center. This includes a large classroom/meeting room, two laboratories, a lobby/great room, full kitchen, offices, and shower and laundry facilities.
In addition to these excellent facilities, three full-time technical and maintenance staff are available at NESA to maintain the greater field station and to aid experimental operations.